11 August 2008

Day and Knight and baking delight!



The weekend was spent at the movies where Steve and I finally got to see The Dark Knight, which I've been patiently waiting for the crowds to die down...It was so good!

Heath was deliciously evil and amazing to watch as the Joker. I was completely mesmerized by his performance, albeit saddened to see him act for the very last time in his short but brilliant career. I thought the movie on the whole was very well done...while Steve thought it was a tad too long, but still this highly anticipated flick was well worth the wait.

Also yesterday, on the boob tube, was a Doris Day marathon of her movies. While I was home I watched parts of these movies:

The Glass-bottomed boat
The Man who knew too much
With Six you get Egg roll
Romance on the high seas
Young at Heart

But I missed Please Don't Eat the Daisies while we were out. That is such a cute movie too! You may have remembered when I posted awhile back about my love for Doris Day movies.

On Saturday we had some friends over for dinner and I attempted to make a tarte tatin. This was a Martha Stewart recipe but she called it 'Caramelized Apple Tart'. I would definitely make this again, and it was pretty easy, since I had made my pie crust ahead of time. It was a hit at our dinner party!



It was made in my cast-iron pan and although the apples stuck to the bottom when I turned it over onto a plate, it still tasted marvelous, as Doris Day would say! The apples got really caramelized and gooey and I served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It didn't look as nice as the photo but then they rarely do, for me anyhoo.




Here's the link for the recipe. I hope you make it! If you don't have a cast-iron pan, you could use a heavy oven proof fry pan.



The recipe says to put softened butter and sugar in the bottom of the pan, then to arrange the apple slices in a circular pattern. You then turn the heat on the stove to medium and let it cook for 8-10 minutes, then put it in the oven for 25 minutes. After that, you just throw the pie dough on top and bake it another 15 minutes. Let it cool a bit out of the oven, and turn over on a plate and serve warm or room temp. Apple pie is probably one of my least fave pies but the carmelization of the the apples makes it so yummy! You could always try making it with peaches for a more summery recipe. I think I'm going to try that next weekend!



(I used Ida Red apples, but the recipe says you can use McIntosh or Rome Beauty, but I have never even heard of Rome Beauty apples, have you?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks yummy, even though you may remember growing up i never liked apple pie, but still looks very good, i made the choc raspberry tart from martha's show a few weeks ago, delish

hey me too, i also watched (here and there during the day), the doris day marathon, romance on the high seas was so fun, her first movie I do believe, i liked the song about running from women and the cubans singning about the tourists and the old drunk guy stealing the drinks from the 2 guys
funny stuff

c

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones